The Beginning…

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

Thing 4: Blogging begins with reading

Filed under: Uncategorized — Kris at 11:55 am on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

I was unable to pick just five posts and read them. My mind doesn’t work that way. So I read most of the posts listed. There were several that I started reading and gave up half way through, either because the style of writing irritated me or because the content didn’t apply to me.

My overall impression of blogging is that there is far too little research done before someone writes a blog post on issues that are quite serious. For me blogging seems to be more of a consortium of opinions. And although it is interesting to read what other people think, I would much rather sit down with someone and talk and have a glass of wine.

There were a few posts that I found interesting:

1. “The Myth of the Digital Native” was an interesting read. I found this post interesting because it sounded like something I have been saying for years now. Everyone keeps saying how kids today are so ahead of us (adults) when it comes to technology yet my experience is that although kids are great at socializing over the internet they lack many fundamental IT skills. First and foremost they lack the ability to troubleshoot. It was kind of nice to read something that validates my own thinking.
  2. The post “Spies Like Us” shocked me. Even though I have heard of incidents where students post disturbing content on youtube I felt quite removed and distant from it. The post just emphasized the importance of teaching ethics in technology education. I truly believe we do not talk to students enough about the ethics of technology use and internet use. What shocks me is that most kids find “happy slapping” and the like funny and amusing. They don’t see anything wrong in it. It makes me sad.
  3. I really liked the post “PowerPoint Reform” because I have been struggling with the issue for a couple of years now. I don’t have kids create powerpoints anymore because they are so boring. But after having read this post I think I will use the suggestions and try powerpoint with my students again.
  4. I read Weblogg-ed: “What did you create today” only because I wanted to read something written by Will Richardson after having read Geeky Momma’s Blog: “I’m not who you think I am”. I didn’t like it. I thought that Mr. Richardson’s list of questions was a bit too much. Couldn’t we just let children choose what they want to share and how they want to share it. Do we have to interrogate our kids with numerous questions every evening. Couldn’t we just do a better job of creating an environment and atmosphere where our children want to talk to us about what is going on in their lives?
  5. Last but certainly not least the post Pair-a-dimes for your thoughts: “Students, Information and Schools” was thought provoking. I liked the questions in the post because they made me think about my teaching and about my own children. The question that I liked the most was “What to do with the information?” And I LOVED the picture.

Even though I am still unsure about the whole blogging adventure I am clearer on what it IS. I found a lot of useful stuff in the posts that I read and I also found myself thinking about my life a little differently. But I also found a lot of junk. As my college professor once said: “The Internet is the biggest junkyard in the world.” And as the web changes and evolves I find that his quote is more and more true. The challenge for me is to find a way to sift through the trash and find the treasures.

4 Comments »

3

David Truss

October 1, 2010 @ 11:06   

One of the best ways to sift through the trash to find the treasures is to build a social network of colleagues that help you seek out the treasures.

As an example, here is a list of mostly educators on Twitter that I pay special attention to: http://twitter.com/datruss/my-tweetdeck-list When I am interested in learning something new, I don’t look in the massive ocean that is the internet… instead I look at a very valuable stream that comes directly to me:-)

Happy blogging,
Dave.

4

Dave Stutz

October 1, 2010 @ 14:54   

Hi Kris –
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post; yes it had been a long day and you called me on it. I do find it interesting that you, however, echoed many of the same points! :)

I think I’ll continue to rely on others to search and sift through for the nuggets, however!

5

bstousland

October 1, 2010 @ 23:11   

I like the idea of not throwing away Powerpoints as like most things it is not programs, it is people that make the difference. Just like delivery of curriculum, use of a whiteboard or LCD player the value comes in how the user delivers and accesses the information. Just because powerpoints have become overused doesn’t mean they are bad. Heck, Steve Jobs uses powerpoint every time he introduces the next Apple product…so it can’t be that bad.
http://bstousland.edublogs.org

6

Kris

October 4, 2010 @ 08:16   

Hey Dave, I just wanted to thank you for your comment. The reason I commented to your post was because it was one of the few posts that actually awoke a reaction in me. Thanks for that. One thing I really dislike is being apathetic and bored. And your post woke me up. Cheers!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI